Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Day 34/366



"So, this is where you wandered off to," teased a familiar male voice.

Gen startled and whirled around, wincing as her ankle scraped against the bench.  "Didn't anyone ever tell you it's rude to sneak up on someone?" she snapped, her cheeks flushing with surprised anger.

Jeremy raised his hands, palms out in self defense.  "First of all, I didn't sneak.  I have it on good authority that I sound like a herd of baby elephants wherever I go."

She hesitated, then gave him a tentative smile, recognizing his attempt to lighten the mood.  "Just baby elephants?"

He grinned and nodded, adding, "I think my mom was trying to spare my feelings."

Gen forced her shoulders to relax.  "And second of all?"  Jeremy just looked at her, puzzled.  "Oh, come on.  You can't start a sentence with 'first' if you don't have a second," she teased.

Another half grin flashed.  "I have more than a second to spend with you, Gen," he volleyed back.

She threw her head back and erupted in soul deep laughter.  It felt so good to laugh again, and the stress rolled away for that brief moment.  Her nerves were so fragile she quickly went from tears of laughter to just plain tears.

Jeremy's Sun bleached brows creased, concern shadowing his features.  "Oh, hey, now," he stumbled, "the last thing I wanted was to make you cry."  Instinctively he reached for her hand and held it firmly between his much larger grip.

Gen wiped at her tears with her free hand, surprising herself with how good his touch felt.  For the first time since everything began unraveling, she felt safe.

All words are the property of Deena Peterson and not to be used without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment