Thursday, February 4, 2016

Day 35/366


"I'm so sorry," Gen began,"I'm not normally like this."  She tugged her hand back from his, flustered and embarrassed.  She hunted around inside her purse for a tissue.

"No worries, Gen.  You're entitled to cry after the last few months.  It's a lot for anybody to work through," Jeremy assured her.  He gave her a moment to gather her thoughts and to dry her eyes, then offered, "I've been told I'm a good listener."

Gen glanced at Him, then looked away, fixing her gaze on the water spraying into the air.  "I really appreciate that.  I do.  It's just...", she cleared her throat, "I have some things I need to work through."

"I get that.  We don't have to talk about whatever you're dealing with.  We can just shoot the breeze as they say."  That got her full attention, a spark of amusement in her gaze.  "Or we can just chew the fat."

"Really?"

"We could flap our gums, jibber jabber to our heart's content."  He finally got that smile he was working for, the one with the dimple in right cheek.  For a brief moment he had the strongest desire to kiss that tiny dimple.

"Who are you?" she asked, eyes sparkling.

"I'm the word guy.  The walking talking--"

"Cliche?" she teased.

"Be nice, or I won't let you filibuster," he chided her, wagging his finger at her.  She laughed again, this time without dissolving into tears.  "Seriously, it might be good to just decompress a little."

She stared at him for a moment, seeing only honesty in his expression.  She couldn't tell him about the envelope and all that came with it, but a distraction would be nice.  "I'll think about it, "she finally said, then gathered her things and stood up.  "And thank you."

Jeremy stood as well and they began walking back toward the office.  "For what?“

"For...I don't know.  I guess for just allowing me to be...me.“

He grinned.  "I must admit, I don't want you to be anything else but you."

The man, hidden in the shadows, shook his head as he lowered his camera.  "This won't do.  No, this won't do at all."

All words are the property of Deena Peterson and not to be used without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment